Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Railway Series-Only Characters

+14
Diesel 11
Frankthetriviaman
EdGeorgenCody
OneJ_
Doc Knickerbocker
Finn Tracy
NWSodor23
Toz76
SkarloeyRailway
The Steampunk Whovian
TGC
Jwnewall
JRCS
Toby7
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Railway Series-Only Characters Empty Railway Series-Only Characters

Post by Toby7 Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 am

Here we can discuss the likes of Culdee, Bear, Fred, and any characters introduced in the RWS but never made it into the television series.
Toby7
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Railway Series-Only Characters Empty Re: Railway Series-Only Characters

Post by JRCS Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:05 pm

What was that poll that SiF ran a while ago about? I remember a question about Characters that you want to see in the TV Series. I think Bear had the most votes (I think around 70% in a multi-vote poll)
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwnewall Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't really see why. Bear didn't have much personality, and didn't do much Razz
Jwnewall
Jwnewall
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby7 Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:33 pm

For me Bear's value is in his basis and possible character development. Diesel 10 is the only mainline diesel in the TV series, and he's not even a regular. Bring Bear in and you've got a more in depth world, more merchandise, and a character who has untapped potential. He never had much of a personality because he was never given a lot of roles in the RWS. He was never fleshed out.
Toby7
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:18 am

About bear maybe there could be an episode where he has to find out which side he is on (and obviously chooses steam but it does take a while for bear to think of the decision) it would be a good intro to bear for the kids who don't know about him or the RWS, it would show the kids that not all diesels are devious, and that there is another face to them, because Mavis could be that engine that shows that, but Mavis should go back to her old persona and I'm pretty sure Brenner will have that happen.
TGC
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Steampunk Whovian Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:03 am

Why would Mavis revert back to her old personality after it's clearly been shown she's matured over the years? She learned her lesson in Season 3 and as such matured over the years. Reverting her personality back to how she started off would make no sense. And Thomas the Quarry Engine still shows that her personality hasn't been reverted.

Regarding RWS characters though, I personally want to see more of the diesels appear in the show. Bear would make a nice addition to the series, and Pip and Emma could also be good characters (although to be honest, Connor and Caitlin have pretty much filled in their roles). I really want to see the Arlesdale diesels appear in the show, more than I do with Bert or Jock. Frank never had much development, and the Blister twins and Sigrid of Arlesdale never appeared in any sort of form, excluding being mentioned once or twice. I think they would be really good characters in the show.

~John
The Steampunk Whovian
The Steampunk Whovian
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

http://the-scarved-whovian.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:32 pm

That is true about Mavis, it's just I don't really pay attention to the things that slightly make sense in S9-15 because there are so many goofs in character on others like Toby and Percy. And regarding the Arlesdale diesels if you have Mike, Rex, Frank, Blisters, and Sigrid, then with the popular demand of Bert then there is only Jock left and at that rate he might as well come for the ride with the rest, and for Pip and Emma, yeah Connor and. Caitlin sort of filled in their roles, but imagine the hype if P&E came back instead of C&C being made. They would still have a merchandising purpose as there is no official Merch of them yet and plus I really want them so even if they don't sell (but they probably would) there would be at least one customer of them. That one being me
TGC
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:25 pm

So now that its been confirmed that the Arlesdale engines will come to the TV series, does that mean they can't be discussed here anymore?
Frankthetriviaman
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Well they don't really count as RWS exclusive, now do they? Razz
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

http://ttte.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:36 pm

That's the problem with this thread. We're at a point where any character can appear in the TVS, so we will eventually, (assuming the trend continues) have nothing to discuss here except random cameo engines like 8783, "the passing diesel", and "the derailed engine". Razz

On an unrelated note, what with the introduction of the Slip Coaches, Alice and Mirabel have little chance of appearing in the TVS. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby7 Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:44 pm

I think the Slip Coaches have become the television versions of Alice and Mirabel basically.
Toby7
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm

toz wrote:That's the problem with this thread. We're at a point where any character can appear in the TVS, so we will eventually, (assuming the trend continues) have nothing to discuss here except random cameo engines like 8783, "the passing diesel", and "the derailed engine". Razz

On an unrelated note, what with the introduction of the Slip Coaches, Alice and Mirabel have little chance of appearing in the TVS. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

What about the Mountain Engines?? Bear? Wilbert? Razz
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Old Stuck Up comes to my mind for characters only in the Railway Series.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:41 pm

SkarloeyRailway wrote:
toz wrote:That's the problem with this thread. We're at a point where any character can appear in the TVS, so we will eventually, (assuming the trend continues) have nothing to discuss here except random cameo engines like 8783, "the passing diesel", and "the derailed engine". Razz

What about the Mountain Engines?? Bear? Wilbert? Razz

I guarantee, within 10 years, assuming Brenner remains at the helm, all of those and more will appear in the TVS. (Maybe not Wilbert, now I think of it, but Bear is almost guaranteed, and Culdee and Lord Harry/Patrick at the very least will appear for the CFR.)
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:42 pm

Well I certainly hope this thread become obsolete then! That'd be wonderful! Smile
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 am

I think it should be a discussion about engines that generated in the railway series and didn't appear in strictly adapted stories like S1-4
TGC
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSodor23 Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:04 pm

I'm curious as to why no one really talks about No. 2/Stanley. I mean, there's nothing great or even really good about him, but everyone loves Smudger, when there's nothing special about him either.

I even think No. 2 is slightly more interesting because of his design, whereas Smudger was just a repaint of Rheneas as we all know.
NWSodor23
NWSodor23
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Finn Tracy Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:05 am

I really liked the Arlesdale Railway engines, I'm glad they're coming back. I also liked the Culdee Fell engines, but... Well, they only appeared in one book. The only ones with good character development are Culdee and 'Patrick'. Godred could be great as well, if only the story wasn't made up...
Finn Tracy
Finn Tracy
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Finn Tracy wrote:I really liked the Arlesdale Railway engines, I'm glad they're coming back. I also liked the Culdee Fell engines, but... Well, they only appeared in one book. The only ones with good character development are Culdee and 'Patrick'. Godred could be great as well, if only the story wasn't made up...

The interesting thing about Godred is, we don't know for sure the story was made up! While Mountain Engines says it is, all other canon sources say that it actually happened.
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 pm

It really is such a shame that we only have one book with four stories about the mountain engines; there is a lot of potential there, if only Awdry was able to think of more stories for them.
Frankthetriviaman
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:14 pm

I'd love to see the Culdee Fell Railway too. If they could animate the mountains well, it would look amazing. Arc should try and visit the Lake District and see what the mountains there are like.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:29 pm

That would be cool, but I'd want to see them non-CGI.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Diesel10 wrote:That would be cool, but I'd want to see them non-CGI.

What do you mean by that?
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:43 pm

I don't think the Culdee Fell Railway would work with models. It would be tricky and expensive to make models that go up steep mountains and really hard to film as well. I think the series 4 NG railway was as far as they could go with the models in terms of mountains.

With CGI, you can create a big landscape, with big views and overhead camera shots would look amazing.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Finn Tracy Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:50 pm

JRCS wrote:I don't think the Culdee Fell Railway would work with models. It would be tricky and expensive to make models that go up steep mountains and really hard to film as well. I think the series 4 NG railway was as far as they could go with the models in terms of mountains.

With CGI, you can create a big landscape, with big views and overhead camera shots would look amazing.

Indeed. Now they have CGI, they should introduce the Culdee Fell Railway! :-D
Finn Tracy
Finn Tracy
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next