Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion

+6
Diesel 11
IsleofOdor
zem2point0
Toby7
JRCS
DuckFan98
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion Empty Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion

Post by DuckFan98 Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 am

Which of the Revered's Railway Series books do you like? All thoughts and opinions welcome!
DuckFan98
DuckFan98
Signalman

Location : This little world, this precious stone set in the silver sea, this blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/User:DuckFan98

Back to top Go down

Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion Empty Re: Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion

Post by JRCS Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:42 pm

I've been looking at the Egmont 2015 catalogue. (The forum is telling me that I can't post links until 7 days after registration date)

Some interesting stuff being released this year. The 70th anniversary version of Thomas the Tank Engine looks like its going to have some extras in it and it looks like there may be a picture book version that is loosely based on it. Not a fan of the cover changes for the first few books, partly because they would look different if I was to buy all the other books.

I hope the release The New Collection for the 70th anniversary as well.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion Empty Re: Rev. W. Awdry's Railway Series Books Discussion

Post by Toby7 Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:21 pm

It would be great if all 42 books were released together in one.
Toby7
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by zem2point0 Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 am

toby7 wrote:It would be great if all 42 books were released together in one.

Especially because it is the 70th anniversary!
zem2point0
zem2point0
Earl of Sodor
Earl of Sodor

Back to top Go down

Post by IsleofOdor Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:44 am

I love all the Rev's books! My favorites have to be The Three Railway Engines and Duck and the Diesel Engine.
IsleofOdor
IsleofOdor
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 pm

zem2point0 wrote:
toby7 wrote:It would be great if all 42 books were released together in one.

Especially because it is the 70th anniversary!

Actually, though I really think that is a cool idea, I'd rather they didn't. Why? Because I just bought the Rev.'s complete collection. (I'm waiting for it to arrive.) So, instead, I wish that they made a reissue of The New Collection that also features the last book, and be less expensive.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:29 pm

I'd like it if The New Collection was reissued. I don't mind if Thomas and his Friends is included as I own it seperately.

Equally it would be great if the whole series was put into one book, with bigger images because the ones on the Complete collection are a bit small.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:06 am

That's how I feel. Although, I'd want Thomas and his Friends included.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:48 am

I still want them to be sold here in Israel and translated into Hebrew, so that if they spark enough interest, the Thomas franchise will make a big reappearance in the country, and could possibly even lead into things such as dubs of Seasons 17-18 and/or Day Out with Thomas in Rakevet Yisra'el. I hope they would be translated by Avirama Golan, since her Winnie the Pooh translation was marvellous. Who knows, a fanbase might actually start slowly but surely, via people discovering Thomaspedia. I might even launch an Israeli equivalent to either Roll Along Thomas or SiF.

Last edited by laG roiL on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:34 pm

I bet that would be cool!
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Out of curiosity, what languages has the Railway Series been translated into?
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

http://ttte.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:55 pm

Besides Japanese, no idea whatsoever.

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:18 pm

I read Mountain Engines and Very Old Engines a few days ago. They are really well written; I think an adaption of Duck and Dukes would be good. Maybe as an aniversary episode. It would be 60 years since Four Little Engines got published and 50 years since Very Old Engines was published. Or maybe it could be the 500th episode.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Finn Tracy Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:51 pm

JRCS wrote:I read Mountain Engines and Very Old Engines a few days ago. They are really well written; I think an adaption of Duck and Dukes would be good. Maybe as an aniversary episode. It would be 60 years since Four Little Engines got published and 50 years since Very Old Engines was published. Or maybe it could be the 500th episode.

There should be a story featuring the main story of Very Old Engines (Skarloey and Rheneas' first days on the railway)! That would be really awesome! Very Happy
Finn Tracy
Finn Tracy
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:05 pm

JRCS wrote:I read Mountain Engines and Very Old Engines a few days ago. They are really well written; I think an adaption of Duck and Dukes would be good. Maybe as an aniversary episode. It would be 60 years since Four Little Engines got published and 50 years since Very Old Engines was published. Or maybe it could be the 500th episode.

Those have always been two of my favorite RWS books! I'd kill to see them in the TVS! Smile
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Mountain Engines would be amazing in the TVS, especially if they give it a big budget. Very Old Engines would be great too. It would be interesting to see if they make Neil and cabless Skarloey, Rheneas, Talylln and Dolgoch.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:13 pm

I think all of them are possible with CGI and the whole Adventure Begins trend! Smile
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Finn Tracy Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:09 am

SkarloeyRailway wrote:I think all of them are possible with CGI and the whole Adventure Begins trend! Smile

SLOTLT SPOILERS:
Finn Tracy
Finn Tracy
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:29 pm

I just finished reading Small Railway Engines. I like how much development the characters got in their first book. It's easier to write good stories when the characters have set out personalities. Their interactions just flow better aswell; the conversations sound natural and unforced.

There are also some very memorable lines. "People make clothes from wool. You know - things they wear instead of paint" is possibly my favourite RWS line.

I didn't know that this was set before Duck got his branch line. I liked the mystery at the start when the other engines didn't know where Donald and Douglas were going.

I'm trying to read RWS books and weren't adapted into the TV Series as I'm trying to stop the habit of reading them like Ringo Starr and Michael Angelis. Some parts of the TV Series are taken directly from the book. Like they didn't make a script and just read the book.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 pm

I just got the 70th anniversary edition of the Complete Railway Series book, and I love it!! I really like that it comes in a nice, hard box to protect it. It's so much fun to slip it in and out! Anyone else gotten this yet?
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm not sure whether or not to get it. I have the 2005 60th anniversary addition, but the box has faded a little, and it would be nice to have one to celebrate both anniversaries.

I'm definitely going to get Thomas the Tank Engine 70th Anniversary edition though, that looks great.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:59 pm

That's cool. I really think it's a great buy, unless you already have all the stories. Unless you fine with spending a little money, that is!
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:37 am

I have a special volume with the reverend Awdry's 26 books in it. Sometimes I like to real it before I go to sleep.
Frankthetriviaman
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:42 am

Does the Complete Railway Series book also have Christopher's titles, or is it just Wilbert's? I wonder what would be the best way to buy all the books to bring them to the Israeli publishing and translation companies for the Hebrew releases.

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:39 pm

laG roiL wrote:Does the Complete Railway Series book also have Christopher's titles, or is it just Wilbert's? I wonder what would be the best way to buy all the books to bring them to the Israeli publishing and translation companies for the Hebrew releases.

The Complete Collection contains all of the Rev.'s stories, The New Collection contains all of Christopher's stories.
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next