Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sodor's Pagan roots?

2 posters

Go down

Sodor's Pagan roots? Empty Sodor's Pagan roots?

Post by Jonathan Fri May 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm new to this site, so let me know if this is posted in the wrong Forum section.

I am a Thomas fan and I am not Pagan. However I am fascinated by Paganism. I haven't learned enough about Paganism yet but everything I know about it so far is very interesting. And I love Pagan themed metal bands such as Burzum. (Burzum is a one man Black Metal (but there are no Satanic lyrics, it's Pagan instead.) project that is led by Varg Vikernes. He was born in Norway but he moved to France)

I am fascinated by the early history of the Island of Sodor and the Sudric language and it's all interesting stuff. However, there isn't much info about Sodor before it was occupied by the Romans who converted Sodor to Christianity. The only info I found so far about it was this journal on DeviantArt which was the first episode of Sudrian Chronicles-The Chronicles of Sodor made by SwiftWin4ds

I was wondering that if Sodor was a real place do you think it would have roots in Paganism like much of Europe used to have over a thousand years ago? if so, it would probably be Celtic
Jonathan
Jonathan
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Sodor's Pagan roots? Empty Re: Sodor's Pagan roots?

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet Fri May 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Throw in some Norse/Scandinavian influence and it would make sense. Godred Crovan was historically a king in the Hebrides and the Isle of Man, along with the separate Kingdom of Dublin; in-universe, Crovan staged the invasion of the Isle of Man from Sodor. It's very likely that the historical Crovan was of mixed Norse and Gaelic background.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Jaromir Jagr's Mullet wrote:Throw in some Norse/Scandinavian influence and it would make sense. Godred Crovan was historically a king in the Hebrides and the Isle of Man, along with the separate Kingdom of Dublin; in-universe, Crovan staged the invasion of the Isle of Man from Sodor. It's very likely that the historical Crovan was of mixed Norse and Gaelic background.

But wasn't Godred King of Sodor after the Christianization? I could be wrong.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Possibly; there's mention of a guy by the name of Roolwer (possibly a corruption of the Old Norse name Hrolfr) who served as the bishop of the Diocese of the Isles, likely during the Crovan dynasty.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 am

Jaromir Jagr's Mullet wrote:Possibly; there's mention of a guy by the name of Roolwer (possibly a corruption of the Old Norse name Hrolfr) who served as the bishop of the Diocese of the Isles, likely during the Crovan dynasty.

Intersting.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet Sun May 27, 2018 4:01 am

As it happens, the word "Sudreyjar" (which morphed into Sodor) is Old Norse in origin and refers specifically to the Hebrides. "Nordreyjar" is Shetland and Orkney off the Scottish mainland.

If the Island of Sodor was placed in a geographically correct way, it would be to the north of the Island of Man, not to its southeast.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum