Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on Chuggington?

+17
Frankthetriviaman
Teddy & Co.
Wellsworth1888
Diesel 11
CalleyFan
Tatooinegateghost
miipack603
biggcitydockrailway1999
Superiosity
Toby7
TGC
JRCS
whyofbladez
Dr. Alphys
ThomasSirHandel
SkarloeyRailway
coringo
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thoughts on Chuggington? Empty Thoughts on Chuggington?

Post by coringo Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I know Chuggington is the inferior pretender to the throne with its complete lack of attempt at realism and cartoony characters/premise - but I was curious to see what you guys think about the show/universe/trains?
coringo
coringo
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

http://www.reddit.com/r/thomasthetankengine/

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Chuggington? Empty Re: Thoughts on Chuggington?

Post by SkarloeyRailway Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:39 pm

I've never really watched it, so I can't really say much about it.
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

http://ttte.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:49 pm

I found out about this show in early 2012. I never really watch it that much. I like Thomas over Chuggington though.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Alphys Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

I watched it once.. and let's just say it wasn't my thing.

I'm not going to use that overused insult that "its a ripoffa thamas" but.. I don't know, it was just another kids show in my eyes Razz.
Dr. Alphys
Dr. Alphys
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by whyofbladez Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:47 pm

Not something for me, that's what I can say about. Even as a kid, I don't know if I'd like it that much. (then again, I liked eating chalk as a kid...)

I think the characters look cool and all, but the show insults my intelligence more than Thomas ever did (excluding Seasons 12-16 anyhow...) But that is mainly because Chuggington isn't aimed at my demographic. Well, Thomas isn't either, but I grew up with Thomas is the primary thing, also Thomas has a level of charm that appeals to me. Even so, I feel as if even as a kid I wouldn't like it.

Last edited by whyofbladez on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
whyofbladez
whyofbladez
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

http://bladez636.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:53 pm

I watch the show. It is very different to Thomas in the way that it isn't supposed to be realistic. Its more about entertaining stories than trying to realistically portray life on a railway. It is also aimed at a much younger audience, which the bright colours show.

Chuggington is a lot better than other children that are out there. It doesn't patronise them and talk down to them. It is like Thomas in the way that it is about the stories and the characters rather than educating children.

I would also say that Chuggington is better than the CGI series that aired at the same time. I even think that series 4 of Chuggington is better than series 17 of Thomas. But the classic series and series 18 of Thomas is definitely a lot better than Chuggington.

Whilst they are both children's TV shows about trains, that's where the similarities end. It's almost not worth comparing the two that they are so different.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by coringo Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:01 pm

My train-obsessed toddlers are into it, bust mostly because we got a really good deal on a huge pile of Chuggington trains (a carrier and 90+% of the trains in die-cast form for $20? SOLD).

They mix and match them with their Thomas trains on both types of sets so they have sort of merged the characters into the world of Sodor which is kind of interesting
coringo
coringo
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

http://www.reddit.com/r/thomasthetankengine/

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:13 pm

I watched one episode and the whole thing I was banging my head against my desk, I like MIR more than chuggington which is saying a lot. The only characters I know are the ones from the 1 episode I watched and a few others because of Leokimvideo (I watched the videos only because they exist and Leo doesn't have his YouTube account glitched (because of G-))
TGC
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby7 Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:54 am

I've watched a few episodes and the writing of the stories was pretty solid. There were good morals and characters were well-developed. Yes, the lack of realism annoys me more than anyone as a railroad engineer/conductor, but it's not fair to trash the show because of that. It may not be "our thing" but it certainly isn't a bad show.
Toby7
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 pm

That's more or less how I feel. Certainly not my cup of tea, but it's fine for those who like it. The lack of realism, I can't get past. The same goes for Thomas, most of the time.
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Superiosity Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 pm

I find that Chuggington is one of those shows with an intersting premise (i.e. talking, sentient trains) and then they forget about it for the most part. By this I mean that they don't utilise the train aspect well enough. That's what I believe is the main problem with the whole cartoony realism - the way they move is more human-like than train-like that they might as well have made a series with humanoid characters.

Thomas, for the most part, usually suceeds in this area when they manage to cleverly use things like signals, guards, and emergency cords as the premise of a story.
Superiosity
Superiosity
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:45 pm

The way the trains move is definitely a marmite aspect to the show. The show is set in the future, so I think it shows how anthropomorphic machines will become in the future. But I think they are inconsistent with how they move. I've seen an episode where one of the Chuggers derails and jumps back onto the rails, but other times they need rescuing.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:12 am

It would make since for the show to be set in the future.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by zachthethomasfan2001 Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:18 pm

TBH about Chuggington, I only saw it once. I'm not trying to hurt fans fans of the show but I don't like it. I prefer Thomas and Friends.
zachthethomasfan2001
zachthethomasfan2001
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard

Back to top Go down

Post by biggcitydockrailway1999 Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:56 pm

I can safely say I've followed the show for quite some time. I've seen virtually every episode (although I've yet to see all the Badge Quest episodes), and have the DVD 4-Pack, the Brewster Leads The Way DVD/Toy pack, and the Chuggineers: Ready to Build DVD. In all honestly, it's a decent little time passer. Most of the characters are pretty enjoyable, some of the designs of the locations (especially with the fourth season) are pretty neat to look at, and it's sort of interesting to see a train-themed brand take on a much more modern look than most shows (although I can defiantly understand where the futuristic aspect comes from). And, to me, the cartooney animation is actually sort of enjoyable (though I will be honest, the CG is GREATLY inferior compared to most shows nowadays).
I will admit though, it IS prone to weaker episodes (i.e. Top Secret Koko, Brewster's Hobby), especially with Season 4. I remember being really excited about the Chug Patrol special and being incredibly disappointed with the outcome. It wasted the chance of being a really good intro to the new format, and they just blew it by trying to mix together (what seemed like) the pilot and some random episode that, even if you watched it on it's own or not, felt VERY poorly structured. And most of the season just seemed more like a formulaic toy commercial, rather than the charming little series we saw with the previous three seasons.
Overall, it's a decent little watch, though nowhere NEAR as good as Thomas of course. Razz

biggcitydockrailway1999
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by miipack603 Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:17 pm

I have seen a few episodes of this show, and I can honestly say that Chuggington can go screw itself. Its completely unrealistic and the stories aren't even that interesting. Granted it is a kid's show, but I think kids will learn better watching Thomas than that god-awful show (although, I will admit, Thomas has had his share of faults over the years, *cough cough* Seasons 12-15)
miipack603
miipack603
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 pm

miipack603 wrote:I have seen a few episodes of this show, and I can honestly say that Chuggington can go screw itself.  Its completely unrealistic and the stories aren't even that interesting.

Easy with the language there, man. No need to be so base.
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatooinegateghost Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:30 pm

I've seen it. It's a decent kid show. I will stick with Thomas.

Tatooinegateghost
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:49 pm

I want it to die off. maybe if it had 70 years of history like TTTE behind what is seen today maybe I would watch 1 episode but it doesn't so no I won't watch any. I actually want to unwatch the one I did watch and banged my head on my desk the whole way through. I want to see it gone. For good.
TGC
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:03 pm

It's honestly not a bad show. Compare it to other children' shows and it's great. Particularly after series 1. I feel like people see it as a rival show and go into an episode trying to hate it. If you go in with an open mind and see it as an alternative and not a challenge to Thomas, it can be enjoyable.

Chuggington came at a time when Thomas was really bad and as Thomas got worse, Chuggington got better. So it acted as a good alternative for Thomas fans that wanted a quality tv show and were willing to give it a shot. Obviously now, Thomas has upped the quality and whilst series 4 of Chuggington competed well with series 17 of Thomas, I don't see series 5 of Chuggington (still unconfirmed) being able to compete as well with series 19 of Thomas as it has in the past.

Point is, if you go into any TV show trying to hate it, one episode of anything won't change that.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm

TheGuysCast2 wrote:I want it to die off. maybe if it had 70 years of history like TTTE behind what is seen today maybe I would watch 1 episode but it doesn't so no I won't watch any. I actually want to unwatch the one I did watch and banged my head on my desk the whole way through. I want to see it gone. For good.
Then you can hope that what ever season it's on is the last one.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by CalleyFan Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:04 pm

I don't understand why fans think that it has to be one or the other...Andrew Brenner himself said that the two shows are so different from each other that they can't even be compared and that he respects Chuggington for being different. The crews don't hate each other, so why do the fans have to make it something which they do?
CalleyFan
CalleyFan
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Where did Andrew Brenner say that?
SkarloeyRailway
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:15 pm

I think Chuggington is a very good show (compared to some of the junk Disney makes nowadays!), but Thomas is just better.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:21 pm

I agree. Chuggington is a lot better than S8-16, but not as good as S1-6 or S17-18, but no children's show is as good as The Classic Series.
JRCS
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum