Secret Lives with Thomas

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Secret Lives with Thomas

Post by Dr. Alphys on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 am

Not very open about it in real life. They only people who know are my family, my brother's girlfriend and peeps on the internet.

In fact, every time I go to a store and buy Thomas merchandise, I say it's just for my cousin's birthday Razz
Dr. Alphys
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by bbll22 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:27 pm

My best friend knows but other than that, no-one else still knows it's a thing for me. I've sort of jokingly referred to the show around my parents and work colleagues but that's as close as it's ever got.

I remember at work one lunch, we were talking about shows we watched as kids and TTTE came up and I had to try and hold back a little so I didn't seem sooo keen that it was odd. Trying to play it cool in and around the subject is as close as I get really!
bbll22
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

https://www.fanfiction.net/~bbll22

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby7 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:42 pm

bbll22 wrote: TTTE came up and I had to try and hold back a little so I didn't seem sooo keen that it was odd. Trying to play it cool in and around the subject is as close as I get really!

I know exactly how you feel! I've had that happen to me a few times as well. I wouldn't want to say something that only a hardcore fan would know and then have everyone look at me and be like "how'd you know that?" lol.

Actually I was a bit more protective of this when I was in middle school to a certain extent. And at the same time I still didn't care because I'd bring in RWS books and read them in class rather than take notes. My friends teased me but looking back on it I must have been completely immune because none of it really bothered me at all!

There was one old science teacher I had and she was a little bit odd. She used to reference preschool shows in lessons. For example, when talking about electricity she'd make little remarks like "I'm talking about electrical conductors, not the ones in Thomas the Train". She would make references to Sesame Street and other shows like that too. Anyway, on one of the last days of school she posted two big blank paper posters. She challenged us to name as many TTTE characters and sesame street characters as we could. I tried to restrain myself from looking crazy but eventually I got up and put down probably Thomas up through Daisy maybe. Like you said, didn't want to seem TOO keen! I just told everyone I watched it a lot when I was little. I just left it like that. When I came back at the end of the day the list was about 3 times as long by one person! Someone had added nearly every character hit had added to the show at the time. I was mad at myself for not sucking it up and listing all the characters I knew. I would have won! Razz Apparently this kid had a little brother but sometimes I wonder if he was a closeted Thomas-fan.
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by bbll22 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:49 pm

This thread has just reminded me that at work, we were doing quizzes on Sporcle and there was a name all the characters from TTTE in this picture one and I really, really held back on it. Inside I wasn't pleased with that and trying my best to strain out some answers....

"I think there was one called Caroline....she could have been a train..." I remember saying or something like that, and obviously on the inside I felt so wrong saying it! Razz
bbll22
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

https://www.fanfiction.net/~bbll22

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalekslayer1 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:58 pm

I feel comfortable buying Thomas items from a Railway Shop especially when its a Day out with Thomas event because its all themed to trains! But in a normal shop i do feel uncomfortable, especially if its in my local area where someone i know might see me!
Dalekslayer1
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby7 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:09 pm

There are so many different Wal-marts and Targets near me the chances of running into a peer is incredibly slim.
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:15 pm

I've always liked Thomas, so my family knows (especially as my sister is also a huge fan). I'm not sure if my Grandparents/Aunties/Uncles/ Cousins know or not, but I wouldn't mind if they knew.

None of my friends know, I constantly get asked what my favourite TV Show is, after hesitating for a while, I just come out with The Big Bang Theory. I don't think I want to tell them because It's probably the only think they would talk to me about.

When me and my sister look at the Thomas section in shops, we pretend to have a little brother called Charlie Razz . We say things like "What would Charlie want?". When we go to the cinema for the Specials we just accept the looks we get. I think I had to go over with the man on the till about 3 or 4 times that we wanted to watch Blue Mountain Mystery. Razz
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanieccentric on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:53 pm

JRCS wrote:When we go to the cinema for the Specials we just accept the looks we get. I think I had to go over with the man on the till about 3 or 4 times that we wanted to watch Blue Mountain Mystery. Razz

Haha, I can relate to this! When my girlfriend and I went to Blue Mountain Mystery, the guy that checked our tickets and told us which screen to go to ended up coming into the cinema just before the movie started to check he'd actually sent us to the right place! It was just us and one couple with a little boy in that screening so he found us easy and checked. He thought he'd sent us to Thomas when we actually wanted Batman! Razz
Stephanieccentric
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Parker on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:29 pm

My family knows about my interest in Thomas. Only a couple of my closest friends know. They rarely bring it up, only if I say something out of the blue about it, they will be like "Oh right." or "Oh god your still into that?"

I go to college and my friends that I have made there know nothing of this. They have questioned me whether I have any secrets at all, since I'm too truthful for my own good.
And I've said "Although I'm honest, I do have secrets that you will never understand."
And they've been like "Why? We are your friends."
And I've replied back saying "Because you will just take the p*** out of me and you would never let me hear the last of it."
Then they said "Try us. We won't make fun of you."
Even if they were serious, I am NOT risking it! Some people can be quite cruel sometimes.

When friends that have come round to my house, I've always made sure that the DVD's are hidden before they come round. It's not right because I feel like I'm lying to them and not trusting them. But like I say "You think you know people..."

DarthShaymin14 wrote: my parents know and they tease me in public about it. My sister knows and has told all her friends in an attempt to embarrass me. I was once looking up trains for a project in school, and a bunch of jocks came up to me and started singing the theme song.
That's horrible! I would die of sheer embarrassment if that happened to me! Mad This is one of the reasons why I'm careful not to comment on any of the Thomas-related tweets or Thomas-related users on my Twitter account because my college friends follow me on Twitter and they have eyes like a hawk. I only follow @ChrisTomson2013 because his tag has less of a hint.
It's a horrible position to be in at the end of the day because there are people who will change their opinion of you in a split second if you mention to them that you like Thomas. I expect it's because they think it governs your life like a typical 'nerd'(!) But the fact is, IT DOESN'T! I do not let it control my life or make me one-dimensional like people assume it does - I am a normal human being!
Jamie Parker
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmgsZe2e9h3v9ntMH2XRnkQ

Back to top Go down

Post by sailing on starways on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:21 am

My parents know about it, but they don't mind. I've told two of my cousins, and occasionally they'll tease me about it, but not too much. A few of my closest friends also know, but they don't think too much about it, unless I bring it up and they'll just say like "Oh". I have to be careful not to put any Thomas-related stuff on social networks though, kids at my school can be very judgmental. If I have to go buy merchandise, I'll just use my brother as an excuse Razz I would probably do the same if Thomas specials aired in cinemas where I live
sailing on starways
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Parker on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:31 pm

TheBlazingRailway wrote:I have to be careful not to put any Thomas-related stuff on social networks though, kids at my school can be very judgmental. If I have to go buy merchandise, I'll just use my brother as an excuse Razz I would probably do the same if Thomas specials aired in cinemas where I live
Same here. When I'm on Twitter, when I want to check up on the Thomas-twitters, I have to do it the long way and type in the users that I want to see. Following them is just too risky.

As for the specials, I have a VUE cinema that I go to and, since that barely anyone that I know go to it, it's a bit easier to go to without having to look over your shoulder.
Jamie Parker
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Metamorphical on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 am

Secret's out man. When I first got my job I kept the boxset at my desk. I used to say they were motivational posters. At one point I took them home when I moved desks. I am the only person left from my training class. Today I was cleaning my current cubicle and found an old picture of myself in the cubicle I had when I first got hired. One of my co-workers noticed the books and asked me about them. It was a pretty cool convo that ended with him borrowing my boxset to read to his little boy.

I had a picture of my Railway Series box set but I apparently can't post it yet.

Last edited by Metamorphical on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Sorry about that)
Metamorphical
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

http://restorthemagic.org

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:08 am

That's a very touching story. Smile Thanks for sharing it with us!
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

http://ttte.wikia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DuckFan98 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:10 pm

I have two Twitter accounts to keep my "real" and Thomas lives separate Razz I follow no one person on both accounts, and the two never cross. I find that's an effective way of contacting people online without risking people finding out!
DuckFan98
Signalman

Location : This little world, this precious stone set in the silver sea, this blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/User:DuckFan98

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

I do the same thing! Razz I follow some of the same famous people, but otherwise they're totally separate.
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby7 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm

I made separate accounts after about 6 months. Some people still follow both but it was just weird when people in the fandom would tweet at me and ask me questions. It was a bit odd.
Toby7
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Parker on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 pm

DuckFan98 wrote:I have two Twitter accounts to keep my "real" and Thomas lives separate Razz I follow no one person on both accounts, and the two never cross. I find that's an effective way of contacting people online without risking people finding out!

I've thought about doing the same thing. But, to be honest, it's too much effort and I don't think I'm ready to start having two accounts. The action of having to keep logging on from one account to another kind of loses the interest for me when I have to think about. Sad
Jamie Parker
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by DuckFan98 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 pm

If you have a smartphone or a tablet, it's really easy. From the Twitter app on my iPad, I control my real one, my Thomas one and the Wiki one! Razz
DuckFan98
Signalman

Location : This little world, this precious stone set in the silver sea, this blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/User:DuckFan98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie Parker on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm

DuckFan98 wrote:If you have a smartphone or a tablet, it's really easy. From the Twitter app on my iPad, I control my real one, my Thomas one and the Wiki one! Razz

I use a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 for my Twitter (and everything else!) but use a Chromebook for the Forums here. It might work on an up-to-date model i.e. iPad, iPhone etc. but my phone can be quite slow when it comes to these things.

I dunno, I'll think about it. Thank you for your suggestion though! I'll keep it in mind Smile
Jamie Parker
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by SkarloeyRailway on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:54 pm

I do the same thing, and since I created my personal twitter long after the SkarloeyRailway01 Twitter, no one has found it from either universe. Razz

Although, someone did find my Sudrian character twitter (I won't tell you which one I am, as it's meant to be a secret). That was really embarrassing.
SkarloeyRailway
Controller
Controller

Back to top Go down

Post by Superiosity on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:26 pm

I used be a lot more ashamed of liking Thomas than I am now. Admitting that you like a niche show, whether it be Thomas or My Little Pony, is a lot like coming out - and I know what all three feels like. The first time you do it, it's really difficult but you gradually become more comfortable with it.

Like a lot of the users above, my family knows that I really like Thomas; it would've been quite a task to hide all those toys that I still sometimes play with! My friends know but only in passing and they probably don't realise to what extent. And then you occasionally meet someone who'll discriminate and mock you for it and sometimes it'll bring you down. But if it's something that makes you happy and isn't really hurting anyone then there's no reason to stop enjoying it!
Superiosity
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSodor23 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:55 pm

My friends don't know about my Thomas life (one of the few perks of not having many Razz), and while my family knows that I collect the merchandise, the only one that I talk about it with, and also has a special affection and understanding of the franchise is my mum.
NWSodor23
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by CalleyFan on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:15 pm

My family know and is super supportive. My mom watched Tale of the Brave with me and really enjoyed it, and was excited when she saw the Mattel Minis at Walmart and insisted on buying every one that they had. My grandmother's the same way. If I don't have it, she throws it in the cart and it's easy for me to talk about it.

My friends know, too - I'm open about it. They all know I like trains and tease in a friendly way sometimes (I don't mind), and they know that I still watch the show and buy the trains and I cover it up a bit by saying "I know the producers!". I don't run into a room and shout "I LOVE THOMAS!" but if it does come up I will talk about it. I just have learned to regulate myself because I know that if I talk about it too much it can get annoying, so I don't say much about it - but I certainly don't hide it, but only because at my school, anyone who dislikes me for that reason is disliked by everyone else because it's considered "not cool" to bully.
CalleyFan
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by whyofbladez on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 pm

My family knows (would be pretty hard to keep it from my parents), my girlfriend knows and my closest friends know about my interest in Thomas. I don't really hide it, I used to though; I just don't reveal it to just anybody. The internet and finding that I am not alone in still loving Thomas has made me a lot less ashamed of it.

Most of my friends are online these days, where I don't really hide it. My girlfriend says she thinks it's cute that I like it. When it comes to my interests, I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.
whyofbladez
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

http://bladez636.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LadysM.Railroad on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm semi-secretive about it. Most of the people in my school I'd rather not tell, but I'm fine with telling my family. They know about my love of Thomas since I've loved it since forever, but my friends would probably poke fun at me for liking it. bounce
LadysM.Railroad
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

http://aol.com/downloads

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top