Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character

+13
Toz76
PolkaDotSideplates
raptorboy02
zem2point0
Frankthetriviaman
MainLineEngine112
ArthurEngine
OneJ_
Diesel 11
miipack603
Zeke
railwayfan03
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character Empty Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character

Post by miipack603 Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:21 am

Hello everybody! Here, fans of Thomas and Friends can discuss their opinions on who they believe is the most overrated and the most underrated character. Who gets all the undeserved attention by fans and needs to step down from the spotlight every so often? Who deserves to be appreciated more as a character and should appear in the show more often? Leave your opinions below!
miipack603
miipack603
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character Empty Re: Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Underrated Character: Toby. I think just the low use of his character may does underrate him a bit, and I personally think, that he is fairly similar to Edward.

Overrated: I don't know. Sorry, but I'm not to sure.

Back to top Go down

Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character Empty Re: Most Overrated/Underated Thomas and Friends Character

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Overrated: James. Don't get me wrong, I love Brennan and Moore as screenwriters, but they've managed to reduce James to being a rather camp dandy obsessed with his paintwork. Slight tie with Thomas himself (literally, he runs a branch line and the sobriquet of Really Useful Engine comes into doubt when you watch SLOLT. Frankly, the Fat Controller should have threatened to scrap him the moment he nearly collided with Emily and derailed the Express in the process).

Underrated: Toby and Henrietta. The voice directing in Season 19, particularly in The Truth About Toby, changed the whole dynamic of the two into an old, married, bickering couple, and honestly, it's hilarious.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by railwayfan03 Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Overrated: Can't think of one...unless you count Thomas himself as one.

Underrated: Rosie. She hasn't spoken all all since Season 16 ended, and spent seasons 17-19 as a background character. Her being a BIG favorite of mine makes me even more upset. I'm REALLY hoping season 20 changes all of that.
railwayfan03
railwayfan03
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeke Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 pm

The following I like but I see not getting mentioned often: The Iron Twins, Norman, Butch, Kevin (for whatever reason he makes me chuckle) and Whiff.

Zeke
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by miipack603 Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:05 am

Overrated: I honestly believe Duck is the most egotistically-overrated character in the entire series, and this is mainly due to his reintroduction. Back in the Railway Series, he had his "Great Western Way" persona then and was arrogant at times, BUT it was toned down a bit and he showed other sides of his persona, such as compassion, wisdom, and humor. Ever since his reintroduction into the CGI series, however, I think in every single one of his appearances, he's talking about doing things properly and uttering his tired phrase about the "Great Western Way". He is always egotistical and arrogant in each of his appearances (which, thankfully, have been limited) and he rarely if never shows any other side of his personality. The only thing that could possibly redeem him for me is an episode where Edward flat out tells Duck to can the "Great Western Way" s&#@ and go back to his old personality. I also think the same has happened to Bill and Ben since Season 18, and henceforth deserve to be in this category as well.

Underrated: On the other hand, I think Timothy is greatly under-appreciated, which is partially due to the fact that he has not had many memorable appearances. In any episode he "stars" in, his role is always overshadowed by the annoying tank engine twins previously mentioned. I really like Timothy's character because it reminds me a little bit of Paxton's, and I'm sure if the former received as much attention from the writers as the latter, then he would be appreciated more. Reg is the same in several respects; he has had limited appearances; when he does appear, he is often overshadowed by another character; and his personality is nice.
miipack603
miipack603
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 am

Overrated: Probably Thomas.

Need I say more? Rolling Eyes

Also, I think that, yes, it's nice to see Duck in the series again, but I prefer him in the Classic Series.

Underrated: Hmm, that's tough. I'd say maybe Bulstrode...? He's only appeared in one episode, but he's proved his worth in the magazine stories.

Due to personal bias, I'd also say The Diesel (Bowler). I've never thought of him as a 'bad' character, he seems to be one of the nicer of the characters, and I feel that he could reform if given the chance.

There's a lot more, but for the life of me, I can't think of them right now.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OneJ_ Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Overrated: N/A as of this moment. Duck does come close however.

Underrated: Thomas (among this fanbase)! Rolling Eyes Now before you kill me, let me elaborate. It amazes me how negatively talked about Thomas is. Among the older fanbase, many have always said that he is overrated while they go crazy for Duck (who is a good character). For what? I think he receives too much dislike due to him being the star of the show. That's who Thomas is. There are no if's, and's or but's about it. I think its unfair to call Thomas overrated when among this fanbase, everyone seems to be annoyed by him. He has a strong persona (unlike BoCo who can gain some development in the future). I want some fans to realize that just because Thomas stars in every single episode and speaks in it doesn't mean that he's overrated. In fact, the terms overrated & underrated is used so loosely that some people have taken it upon themselves to claim something to be overrated or underrated because of the simple fact that they like or dislike that thing. Thanks for understanding! Smile
OneJ_
OneJ_
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ArthurEngine Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Overrated: Diesel. No, not by the fans, but by the crew.

The thing is, even though Britt and David requested Thomas and the Evil Diesel, a story that shows that even though Diesel can be nasty, he does have a heart somewhere inside of him, it never got adapted, causing Diesel to have retained his persona for the show to date, all because of how popular he was in the 1980s. And the reason Diesel Does it Again was made was to extend the Duck vs Diesel rivalry. Not just that, he replaced Daisy in "Mavis" for no reason. Though, if there was something wrong with Daisy's model at the time, it would have made more sense to use Boco instead of Diesel. And all because of Diesel's unnecessary appearances, most of the old diesel characters are neglected. Even poor Boco.

Underrated: Boco. The only character introduced in Season 2 who is yet to return.

Yes, the reason is because he'd been absent for 18 years!
ArthurEngine
ArthurEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:36 am

Overrated: BoCo. I do like him, and wouldn't at all mind him coming back, but the reason for that isn't because he's such a great character; it's mostly because there's a lot that they could do with him to develop him into a great character, but as he stands, he's basically just a diesel version of Edward. I don't think it's worth it to reintroduce him just because he was an Awdry. I would only want to see him if they either relegated him to minor roles, or did something really good with his character and established some really good dynamics between him and the other characters on the Branch like Salty, Porter, Cranky, Reg, Marion, and Timothy.

Underrated: If you know much about me, you probably saw me coming: Dennis. I honestly love Dennis. I think he all the New Series characters who haven't been in the CGI series yet, he is one of the few that I feel it would be good idea to bring back (others being Molly, Freddie, Mighty Mac, and possibly Hank). Dennis' persona is very unique. There haven't been any characters before our after who share any of his traits, the closest being Daisy, but she was more just particular about the work she did, rather than just not wanting to work. There's a lot that could be done with what we know of Dennis, and a lot of expansion to be done as well. I really want to see Dennis interact with his big bro, Norm (who's also pretty underrated), as well as other characters like Daisy, Edward, Diesel, and others. There's a lot of possibility.

Also, I'd say Toby and Henrietta are, not necessarily underrated, but rather underused. Ray mentioned earlier in this thread that Den and Dart sort of set them up as an old, bickering married couple, and I totally agree, and that's definitely something I enjoy! Can't you just picture an episode with Toby and Henrietta telling some other engine a story, maybe about their old railway, and Toby says one thing happened, and Henrietta pipes in, arguing that it happened completely differently, and then they go on arguing about how the story went? (Take the hint, Mattel. TAKE THE HINT!)
MainLineEngine112
MainLineEngine112
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by miipack603 Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:59 pm

OneJ_ wrote:Overrated: N/A as of this moment. Duck does come close however.

Underrated: Thomas (among this fanbase)! Rolling Eyes  Now before you kill me, let me elaborate. It amazes me how negatively talked about Thomas is. Among the older fanbase, many have always said that he is overrated while they go crazy for Duck (who is a good character). For what? I think he receives too much dislike due to him being the star of the show. That's who Thomas is. There are no if's, and's or but's about it. I think its unfair to call Thomas overrated when among this fanbase, everyone seems to be annoyed by him. He has a strong persona (unlike BoCo who can gain some development in the future). I want some fans to realize that just because Thomas stars in every single episode and speaks in it doesn't mean that he's overrated. In fact, the terms overrated & underrated is used so loosely that some people have taken it upon themselves to claim something to be overrated or underrated because of the simple fact that they like or dislike that thing. Thanks for understanding! Smile

I agree with your stance on Thomas being an underrated character. I especially like how much he has honestly matured since the dreaded Miller era. My only wish for him is that more characters were utilized as much as, or even more than, him because, in my opinion, having him appear/star in every episode since Season 18, regardless of his role towards the story, is a bit ridiculous.
miipack603
miipack603
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 am

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you mainline

Sure, BoCo wasn't the most developed character-wise, but he was still a good character and very memorable (the Diseasel comes to mind).

I hope he returns, being the last Awdry standard guage engine yet to return, and perhaps in due time, get more of a fleshed out personality
Frankthetriviaman
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:45 am

Again, I love BoCo, and would love for him to return, but I just don't think the reason should be because he was an Awdry character.
MainLineEngine112
MainLineEngine112
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:29 am

Well, one good reason would be to show more than just one engine (Edward) working on the Wellsworth line.

(Salty and Porter don't count because they work at the docks, and Bill Ben and Timothy don't count because they work at the clay pits)
Frankthetriviaman
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:31 am

Yes, that's the main reason I'd want him to return: World building.
MainLineEngine112
MainLineEngine112
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by zem2point0 Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:33 pm

I'd have counted Rosie as a most underrated, but it looks like that's all about to change and we'll be seeing more of her soon. Wink

Overrated... Um, that's a hard one. Thomas comes to mind though. I don't even mind him being in every episode, it just seems that he is overrated in his usefulness and as the "best" character... There are a lot of great engines on Sodor!
zem2point0
zem2point0
Earl of Sodor
Earl of Sodor

Back to top Go down

Post by raptorboy02 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:22 am

Pardon me for reviving this thread, but you know what Character I believe needs to appear a little more often, at least in the background? Hector. I used to love him as a kid because of how massive he was, but he didn't appear much after his debut... His concept is such a marketable character on its own, why not appear in the background once or twice a season?
raptorboy02
raptorboy02
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:27 am

I wouldn't mind that. He could provide some good stories too. Also, more individualism among rolling stock! Fine by me!
MainLineEngine112
MainLineEngine112
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:55 am

My man Tug is big on him too. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him either. I loved his role in James It Right (I think that's what it's called) so him returning would be great.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 am

Elizabeth is also seriously underrated in my opinion, as well as (as said above) Hector.
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 am

Diesel 11 wrote:My man Tug is big on him too. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him either. I loved his role in James It Right (I think that's what it's called) so him returning would be great.

Agreed. It would be nice to have a friendly truck in the CGI Series, with all the troublesome ones (unless they do still have any friendly sentient trucks. I haven't seen Seasons 19 and 20, so I wouldn't know). I imagine Joe Mills, Rob Rackstraw or Keith Wickham could voice him if he does get brought back. However, the context of his name is a problem since it is an acronym, so I feel they should drop the meaning. Also, they should make him pretend he never attempted to scare engines away to prevent him from being used for his intended purpose, due to how ridiculous it was. Unless Rosie would somehow remember him and not realize he is not the same anymore. BTW, the episode was called "James Works it Out".

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm

I'll join Camp Bring Back Hector. What's wrong with it being an acronym? I personally love acronyms. As for his "scaring away", that's not as ridiculous as you might think. Sure, it's dumb for him to be scared of being filled with stuff, but maybe he had some traumatic experience in the past relating to that (that's also the best way to justify Edward's crane bigotry and The Old Bridge). And the scaring away part isn't too out of left field either, they say railwaymen are usually superstitious, so maybe the engines are too. Even in the Brenner Era Edward believes in ghosts, so anything is possible.
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by raptorboy02 Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 am

Toz76 wrote: And the scaring away part isn't too out of left field either, they say railwaymen are usually superstitious, so maybe the engines are too. Even in the Brenner Era Edward believes in ghosts, so anything is possible.
With all the paranormal themed episodes, I'm certain almost all of them believe in ghosts. But how exactly does that apply to Hector? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
raptorboy02
raptorboy02
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 am

If Edward, a wise, intelligent engine, can believe in something like ghosts, it's not too much of a stretch to believe that the likes of Rosie, Bill, and Ben would be scared of an agressive freight truck.
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Let's get back on track here, won't even mention the pun because everyone has made it before.

Over: Diesel 10. When I see a fan-special on YouTube, almost always has some link to Diesel 10 in it, Hell, Thousand Eye Train Dragon (my boss told me to call 1,000 Eyes that) made an entire entourage of diesels 0-20, as well as 666 and 5000XL. I think we just need to lay off the whole Diesel 10 thing for a while, and look for a less insane but still antagonistic Character like Spencer, or one of my strange ideas, Hank, when it comes to fanfics, but that's just my opinion.

Under: Close Tie between Derek and Bertram, but Derek takes the lead. Derek in my opinion is one of the best "one off" characters, (even though he probably wouldn't be a one off if Britt wasn't fired) and now in the CGI series is a better time then ever to reintroduce Derek, with the clay pits having been reintroduced a long enough time ago to start introducing new clay pit characters aside from Bill, Ben, Timothy, and Marion. Derek was featured in one episode, and cameoed in CAE but Thanatos is simply not enough for this character.
TGC
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next