Thomas and Friends vs The Media - Why is it so criticized?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thomas and Friends vs The Media - Why is it so criticized?

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Warning, their might be some spoliers concerning the Great Race here, so just keep that in mind.

This year, HiT Entertainment are releasing a new Thomas and Friends Special called The Great Race, which is due to come out in UK cinemas on May 20th and in DVD around August-September time. In a recent post in the New York times, they relieved some of the new international engines that will appear in this special such as Raul, Ashima, Carlos and Yong Bao. I will admit, they do look pretty good and i'm rather interested for this special.

HOWEVER... the media has had an outburst on this saying that this special is adding multiculturalism to Thomas, are disliking the idea of making the series more diverse, and/or are relating this special to politics, racism, sexism etc. As a result we get stupid web articles like this:

https://www.wow247.co.uk/2016/03/31/thomas-the-tank-engine-controversy-strikes-over-pc-changes/

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2016/mar/29/thomas-tank-engine-film-multicultural-world-react-fallout

...or stupid newspaper articles like this...

...and i just have to ask, why??? Why is the media doing this? I know this isn't a new thing, it has happened in the past and i'm sure there's going to be more in the future. But all this is doing is giving Thomas a bad reputation for absolutely no reason at all. It's like trying to death threat someone for doing nothing. Besides, we haven't even seen a trailer (as of posting this) yet, so why are people criticizing this for just having engines of different cultures, heck, some of these engines may not appear much in the special and all of them may disappear after this special is released. Also, the series has introduced so many engines from the USA, one from Japan (Hiro) and even Victor from the Sodor Steamworks is Cuban.. and did anyone complain that this was ruining Thomas? Yes, fan might have not liked the idea of the series introducing American engines, but apart from that, no.

Overall, i fell like this whole saga is just the media trying to make a big deal out of something that isn't even a big deal in the first place. Besides, this is actually a great idea because it opens Thomas up to a whole new market in eastern Asian and other obscure countries that don't know about Thomas that much.

So what do you think? I would love to see some of your replies.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Re: Thomas and Friends vs The Media - Why is it so criticized?

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:27 pm

It's virtue signaling. They so desperately want to look like they're doing something good and important that they'll create a problem to feed their egos.

It's like the French or Belgian flags on Facebook. It's an easy way for someone to claim that they're doing something beneficial without any impact whatsoever.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:29 pm

I personally don't care about what the media says. If it's a personal attack aimed directly at me - i.e., "You still watch kid's shows!" - I will become defensive, but as it is, the media and whatever else makes all these stupid remarks about Thomas are just bringing up idiotic nonsense that doesn't mean a dang thing in the scheme of things. Most of the actual fans are fine with what's going on with Thomas; the numbskulls that wouldn't care about it unless it's a big thing and they want to add fuel to the fire are the only ones that are doing this.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:31 pm

You know what, i don't even think they did any research whatsoever before posting these stupid articles. It's like they saw these images and instantly criticized it without thinking it through properly or doing any proper research beforehand.

It's like these people writing these articles are desperate for attention.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Traintastic26 wrote:It's like these people writing these articles are desperate for attention.

You don't say.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Traintastic26 wrote:You know what, i don't even think they did any research whatsoever before posting these stupid articles. It's like they saw these images and instantly criticized it without thinking it through properly or doing any proper research beforehand.

It's like these people writing these articles are desperate for attention.
Agreed. Like I said, it's not the true Thomas fans that are doing it - it's the idiots that give our fandom a bad name.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Oh, no. Please don't let this rubbish enter the Israeli newspapers Sad

I don't want the morons who wrote these things ruining the franchise.
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:16 pm

You know the worst part of all of this is that they are looking into four of the 12 (or 14) international engines and they are yet to realized Flying Scotsman is going to be in this movie.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Traintastic26 wrote:You know the worst part of all of this is that they are looking into four of the 12 (or 14) international engines and they are yet to realized Flying Scotsman is going to be in this movie.

You know, if he hadn't retired, Sean Connery as Flying Scotsman would be glorious.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Also, about the internet articles, not only is what is in the article terrible, but some of the comments are just as atrocious too. For example, look in the guardian article and see for yourself.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Traintastic26 wrote:Also, about the internet articles, not only is what is in the article terrible, but some of the comments are just as atrocious too. For example, look in the guardian article and see for yourself.
Exactly. The people writing the nonsense don't even have a clue about what is going on. Do you work at HiT? No! Are you active in the fandom? No! Why then do you print nonsense that you don't even have a clue about to begin with?!
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:07 pm

People who criticize it are people who only seen Seasons 8-16 episodes or haven't seen the show at all.
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:21 pm

ThomasSirHandel wrote:People who criticize it are people who only seen Seasons 8-16 episodes or haven't seen the show at all.
I actually read an article by someone who hated it and had only watched the first four seasons! I'd hate to think what she'd have thought of the rest!
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:44 pm

People are going to criticize TTTE. Not everyone has the same taste. I get that, and for the most part I've stopped caring. But this... complaining that Thomas is increasing diversity? Racism much? Things like this just tick me off.

(Also, that first article in the opening post seems to have a slur in it, maybe two.)
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 am

I think that Traintastic26 makes a good point. There's no need for a British engine in this movie because Flying Scotsman is British!! Not to mention, Sodor is also a part of Britain... so that's already two engines from the UK.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:35 pm

These two comments sum up how stupid this entire situation is.

I think this can tell us one thing. If you are going to criticize anything, and i don't just mean Thomas and Friends but any TV show, any movie, etc. The most important thing is that you need a strong enough reason and a valid explanation that makes sense for not liking it. Otherwise, people are going to think you are an idiot or an nitpicker.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:41 am

Sorry to double post but this entire situation is so stupid that the Producer Ian McCue has had to step in to reject these claims.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/05/thomas-the-tank-engine-producer-insists-new-foreign-engines-not/
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Oh Gawdry....

*HITS HEAD ON DESK*

It's literally crazy that this fandom is so idiotic. I know some people on Twitter have actually decided to leave due to all the fighting that's going on. What is this anyway? Politics? No! It's a dagnab kid's show!!

That's what I love about this place, and the other forums - you can actually have decent discussions with people who won't go crazy and take offense at whatever you say.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Oh god....

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/658677/Thomas-the-Tank-racism-row-Is-new-film-The-Great-Race-racist

I just want to end myself now.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 pm

"Snow White will be targeted next..."
TBH, I'm surprised she hasn't already!

Oh, what is the world coming to....
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Just imagine, what were these people thinking when they were writing these articles? Is if they either didn't do their research or had the brain of a toddler.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:06 pm

There are no black engines!

They. All. Have. Grey. Faces.
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:35 am

Sometimes I wonder if the Thomas critics have even seen the show, with what nonsense they spout
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:55 am

You can tell they haven't seen it. How do they come to the conclusion that Yong Bao is "gentle?" HE DOESN'T FLIPPIN SPEAK! Frieda says one line, yet she's now all butch and manly? Ivan's description even says that he's not mean at all! Plus, there aren't any Scottish or South African engines! Vinnie has black smoke because he's North American. Engines do that. Plus, he's Canadian! His character totally breaks the Canadian stereotype of always being nice. Then, they're complaining that there were only three new females, and ten males, even though none of those male characters contributed anything, barring Vinnie. These critics are desperate. Of all things to complain about with this movie.
MainLineEngine112
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top