"It's Just For Kids" Argument

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: "It's Just For Kids" Argument

Post by Toz76 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Actually, Hit has made it very clear that they value us fans, in case you hadn't noticed all the RWS/classic series nods and actually asking SiF members for input. At any rate, children have always been the primary audience since Awdry was telling his sick son stories, it's just that the stories are good enough to create a large adult fandom. And with regards to the "adults make the series" argument, that's true of all children's TV. You don't have to be a huge fan of the source material to work on the show (Ringo wasn't), although it certainly helps if you are, as in our current case.
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Okay, maybe it use to be for a wider age group of children but preschool wasn't always the age group before Season 8.

Back to the guy who made the rant about us, I find most kid shows to be way more watchable than horror or R rated stuff.
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Valyn on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Same here. I really don't like Horror movies. I fact, even non horror movies can scare me a lot. To the point where I don't like the movie. Even kids shows which I don't like at all are much better.
Valyn
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:43 am

Traintastic26 wrote:
Diesel 11 wrote:I agree 100% with you on everything, except Cars & Planes. I really liked those movies, and I still haven't figured out why so many hate them.

Otherwise, I agree. It's just plain wrong.

To be fair, i actually like those movies, but i feel like the only reason they were made were for selling merchandise.

So were seasons 9-16 of Thomas. Laughing
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Yeah. Everything introduced from Seasons 9-16 was just to sell merchandise but the only characters I liked from that era were Neville, Molly, Stanley, Hiro and Victor.
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:15 am

ThomasSirHandel wrote:Yeah. Everything introduced from Seasons 9-16 was just to sell merchandise but the only characters I liked from that era were Neville, Molly, Stanley, Hiro and Victor.

I consider the obscure ones the characters introduced in between seasons 9-12. Only 4 characters made it out of there. I wish to see Molly return, but back to the topic. I usually disregard the rating of a show or movie. As long as it entertains me, I don't care what it's rated. I do understand the purpose of ratings, but they surely don't define quality.
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:27 pm

I have another "it's just for kids" excuse....(sighs)

If you don't know yet, Suicide Squad is coming out this week and DC fans are whining over the fact the movie is getting negative reviews on rotten tomatoes. So this guy comes in and decides to attack AniMat (one of my all-time favorite you tubers), by saying that... Well... just read the whole conversation for yourself:

https://twitter.com/AniMat505/status/761215396317921281
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Traintastic26 wrote:I have another "it's just for kids" excuse....(sighs)

If you don't know yet, Suicide Squad is coming out this week and DC fans are whining over the fact the movie is getting negative reviews on rotten tomatoes. So this guy comes in and decides to attack AniMat (one of my all-time favorite you tubers), by saying that... Well... just read the whole conversation for yourself:

https://twitter.com/AniMat505/status/761215396317921281

The perfect example of Manchildren in the middle of their mid-life crisis, alongside Keemstar. Can't they accept that people think that the movie is bad and that Rotten Tomatoes exists?
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:49 am

Personally, I think they should wait and see the movie before seeing if the reviews are accurate.

But back on topic to this, I think that for the early seasons and 17 onward, the "just for kids" argument is ridiculous; there are older generations who enjoy it too.
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:29 pm

You know what, i just want to say this:

If you think that any animated movie or tv show... (this isn't just Thomas, but any animated show like My Little Pony, Adventure Time, Star vs The Force of Evil and any animated movie like Zootropolis (in UK), Inside Out and Finding Dory). You have no respect for the entertainment industry. You are someone that only cares about you own opinion, will attack anyone who disagrees with you and you are the definition of someone living in a dirty street, living a thug life (don't mean to insult some people with this statement,but that doesn't seem far from the truth.

It might sound like i am stereotyping some people, but that's how i put it.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Off-topic: Actually, I kinda want Flora back, instead.

On-topic: Pretty much. Any show is for all ages. Now if only there was a Pop Vinyl Thomas.
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:59 am

They made a Hogwarts Express Pop! Ride, so Thomas could be made the same way (perhaps with an exclusive driver figure). Annie and Clarabel or Troublesome Trucks could also be made for him like the Hogwarts coaches.
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:44 pm

The reason people view Thomas and similar as "just for kids" is because that's who it's marketed towards. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy it, and it doesn't make mocking TTTE fans okay, but it's the reason people think that it's just for kids, and there's little we can do about it.

Also, where did we get the idea that all non-kids shows/movies are R-rated or horror, or that such movies are inherently bad? Tastes differ.
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:38 am

I liked Ted, and that was Rated R
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:15 am

Going to have to agree with Toz; taste is subjective and varies from person to person
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:18 pm

TOZX wrote:The reason people view Thomas and similar as "just for kids" is because that's who it's marketed towards. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy it, and it doesn't make mocking TTTE fans okay, but it's the reason people think that it's just for kids, and there's little we can do about it.

Also, where did we get the idea that all non-kids shows/movies are R-rated or horror, or that such movies are inherently bad? Tastes differ.

Interesting...

That's definitely true. Not everyone is going to like the same things like you said. I personally don't like many modern mainstream movies/music because i find them too flashy and attention grabbing, but enjoy kids shows such as Thomas and Friends/My Little Pony and classic shows such as Dad's Army and Bertha.

However, with the recent season 20 episodes coming out, a lot of people are saying that Thomas should change it's target market from kids to the whole family because of the style of writing these episodes are following. I would definitely like to see that as it would really help the show regain the popularity it had back in the day.

You know, at the end of day, i think people should really say that Thomas and Friends "is not for me". That way, at least you can have respect for them and not feel like pointing a gun to them like we all do with TMossBoss.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:24 am

Actually, marketing towards the whole family instead of just kids is a really good idea. They should do that and really start turning the show around.
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:40 am

luctheminecrafter wrote:Actually, marketing towards the whole family instead of just kids is a really good idea. They should do that and really start turning the show around.

Didn't they do that in the beginning before HiT took over?
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 am

Ninja'd.

That was exactly what I was going to bring up. I don't recall the target demographic ever being blatantly stated before the pre-HiT era came to an end.
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Traintastic26 wrote:You know what, i just want to say this:

If you think that any animated movie or tv show... (this isn't just Thomas, but any animated show like My Little Pony, Adventure Time, Star vs The Force of Evil and any animated movie like Zootropolis (in UK), Inside Out and Finding Dory). You have no respect for the entertainment industry. You are someone that only cares about you own opinion, will attack anyone who disagrees with you and you are the definition of someone living in a dirty street, living a thug life (don't mean to insult some people with this statement,but that doesn't seem far from the truth.

It might sound like i am stereotyping some people, but that's how i put it.
I think something people should remember is that it takes time and money to make a movie. There's a lot of movies that people have criticized over the years, for instance A Good Day to Die Hard. I watched it, being a die-hard Die Hard fan ( Razz ), and while it is the worst in the series, it's not a bad film all things considered, though many others may disagree.

One film that everyone loves but I didn't enjoy too much is The Terminator. I have yet to watch the sequel, but that movie actually almost made me sick thanks to the lighting. It's a good movie, but not a favorite of mine. (Arnie was cool though.)

The point I'm trying to make is, just because a movie isn't that good, you have to remember that someone wrote the script, thought it was a good idea, and a lot of money was spent in making it (like Halloween III or Deep Rising). Respect that someone worked hard on it, and then give your thoughts.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:58 pm

Completely agree with you Diesel 11. One thing people take for granted is that people MAKE the movies you watch and the games you play and the food you eat.

Humans are ungrateful.
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:16 am

The thing about TTTE is that people lump it on with a bunch of other Y-rated shows, many of which really are thrown together from a formula in 15 minutes with little interest in quality. It'll be hard for TTTE to break from that stereotype, and why bother? They've already got a good thing going where they're at, it's still quality entertainment for the people who can respect it, and most importantly, they would lose a lot by changing. Changing the rating to be more "all ages" would require changing a lot, and there's no proof it would pay off.
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:03 pm

I wonder what happens if I bring up Arthur?
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 am

The engine or the show?
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:34 am

I think he means the show.

Which is a perfect example of a family show with the goal of telling a story, maybe with morals in the background, but still managing to tell an entertaining story.
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top