Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"It's Just For Kids" Argument

+6
PolkaDotSideplates
Toz76
ThomasSirHandel
TheSCC&ScottishTwins
Diesel 11
TaffyTheTankEngine
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

"It's Just For Kids" Argument  Empty "It's Just For Kids" Argument

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:40 pm

This is an issue that so many Kids TV show reviewers tackle all the time and has been brought up whenever a Bad Kids Movie or show comes out and now it's time tackled it.

So when a terrible Kids film, TV show, game comes out, what is the general excuse for the producers or people watching it? The answer is this:

"It's just for Kids, why should you care?

and to me, this is worst thing i have ever heard. It is quite frankly not even a excuse, because kids deserve quality and good storytelling. They do not deserve to be treated like they were stupid. This is why we see films such as Cars 1 & 2, Planes and Minions and Kids TV shows such as the Modern Spongebob, Seasons 9-16 of Thomas and Friends, Breadwinners, Teen Titans Go!, Fairy Odd Parents, The list goes on and on and on. What worse is that parents seem to not care and just accept anything that comes in-front of their screen. This is why so many preschool shows are just unbearable. In fact, the only Kids TV shows which are actually watchable are Thomas and Friends (Classic era and Seasons 17+), My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and Fireman Sam (which from what I've seen has never suffered from a dark period).

This really is sad. People need to realize that you can't throw anything in-front of children's faces. They do not deserve so many of the Kids TV Shows and movies that have come out over the past few years. It fells like the writers and producers are not even trying anymore. They seem to not care about the audience and just think they will accept anything. It just sends a negative message of where is Kids TV and Movie industry is going. There are some shows which introduce adult issues in the worst possible ways, I'm not saying they should do it, but at least do it properly!

So wrapping up, i feel that this is just wrong. People should care about Kids TV Shows and Movies and actually make them good, and people need to stop saying to terrible shows "It's Just for Kids". Saying that to Thomas and Friends is like saying Call of Duty (I know its a game) is for Adults. There are show many shows and movies which everyone can enjoy and don't treat the audience like they were stupid.

So what do you think? Leave you thoughts in the comments below.
TaffyTheTankEngine
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

"It's Just For Kids" Argument  Empty Re: "It's Just For Kids" Argument

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:21 pm

When I read the title, I thought it was about TTTE.

I agree with every word, it's disgraceful. However, I think Fireman Sam did have a "dark period", and that was when the new (pre-CGI) series was made, kinda like Thomas & Friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:34 pm

I agree 100% with you on everything, except Cars & Planes. I really liked those movies, and I still haven't figured out why so many hate them.

Otherwise, I agree. It's just plain wrong.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Diesel 11 wrote:I agree 100% with you on everything, except Cars & Planes. I really liked those movies, and I still haven't figured out why so many hate them.

Otherwise, I agree. It's just plain wrong.

To be fair, i actually like those movies, but i feel like the only reason they were made were for selling merchandise.
TaffyTheTankEngine
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:41 pm

On that note, I liked the merchandise. Razz

But still, I enjoyed reading that.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSCC&ScottishTwins Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 pm

I share the same opinions.

The fact that kids are basically the adults of tomorrow and we're not really paying attention/uncaring as to what we give them irks me. Kids deserve quality films, stories, etc. as well--I mean, entertainment isn't just for adults. People should pay attention to those factors, because truly, it doesn't take much. You could be putting hard work and effort into (let's say television programs) and the outcome of it all is better than when you don't try. Entertainment is always something that people need, young or old, so why not give enough quality to it so that all ages can enjoy those kinds of things?
TheSCC&ScottishTwins
TheSCC&ScottishTwins
Express Engine
Express Engine

Location : Traveling through time and space, eating some scones and muffins every now and then.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:16 pm

I like Cars, Minions and Fairly OddParents but I agree about Breadwinners and Teen Titans Go!. But shows/movies I have a problem with are any modern preschool show from like 2005 onward, Dora the Explorer, Thomas & Friends Seasons 8-16, Bob the Builder (from 2005 onward), Frozen, MLP, Littlest Pet shop, modern SpongeBob (at least until the second movie), modern Family Guy (basically just watching garbage), modern Simpsons, modern Scooby-Doo, Phineas and Ferb, most live action movies based off of cartoons, Uncle Grandpa, Teen Titans Go!, modern Nickelodeon (since like 2009), Clarence, Chowder, adult swim and many others. So yes I do agree we should be monitoring what kids should be watching.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:00 pm

The big problem I have with this is: what defines "quality"? You could say Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies are higher quality than Uncle Grandpa, but why? What makes them higher quality? Don't get me wrong, I am a strong opponent of censorship and firmly believe children should be treated just as well as adults. But without a benchmark of quality, this thread becomes a long moan about what shows we dislike (Grumble grumble Caillou).

Also, I must confess to having a soft spot for Teen Titans Go. Granted, the plots don't usually make a lot of sense, but it's always good for a laugh and it has a few gems (the episode Friendship in particular is something we all as fans of a "kiddie show" can identify with).
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:12 am

ThomasSirHandel wrote:I like Cars, Minions and Fairly OddParents but I agree about Breadwinners and Teen Titans Go!. But shows/movies I have a problem with are any modern preschool show from like 2005 onward, Dora the Explorer, Thomas & Friends Seasons 8-16, Bob the Builder (from 2005 onward), Frozen, MLP, Littlest Pet shop, modern SpongeBob (at least until the second movie), modern Family Guy (basically just watching garbage), modern Simpsons, modern Scooby-Doo, Phineas and Ferb, most live action movies based off of cartoons, Uncle Grandpa, Teen Titans Go!, modern Nickelodeon (since like 2009), Clarence, Chowder, adult swim and many others. So yes I do agree we should be monitoring what kids should be watching.
So Frozen isn't a show, Family Guy and The Simpsons aren't for preschoolers, and ESPECIALLY NOT ADULT SWIM!
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 am

luctheminecrafter wrote:
ThomasSirHandel wrote:I like Cars, Minions and Fairly OddParents but I agree about Breadwinners and Teen Titans Go!. But shows/movies I have a problem with are any modern preschool show from like 2005 onward, Dora the Explorer, Thomas & Friends Seasons 8-16, Bob the Builder (from 2005 onward), Frozen, MLP, Littlest Pet shop, modern SpongeBob (at least until the second movie), modern Family Guy (basically just watching garbage), modern Simpsons, modern Scooby-Doo, Phineas and Ferb, most live action movies based off of cartoons, Uncle Grandpa, Teen Titans Go!, modern Nickelodeon (since like 2009), Clarence, Chowder, adult swim and many others. So yes I do agree we should be monitoring what kids should be watching.
So Frozen isn't a show, Family Guy and The Simpsons aren't for preschoolers, and ESPECIALLY NOT ADULT SWIM!

I said shows/movies in general. Look in the bold text.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 am

Isn't this the "it's just for kids" thread? So Luc is actually right... also, most of the shows you listed have pretty high production values, if the fandoms they've accumulated are anything to go by.
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:28 am

Toz76 wrote:Isn't this the "it's just for kids" thread? So Luc is actually right... also, most of the shows you listed have pretty high production values, if the fandoms they've accumulated are anything to go by.

You know there are kids who watch adult shows right?
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:06 am

Fair point, and I don't have a problem with that, but this thread is specifically for shows targeted at kids, unless I've interpreted things wrongly.
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:25 pm

It seems you forgot to bold this part...
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:21 am

Young Kids shouldn't really be watching Family Guy or Simpsons until their older like in their preteens. Especially the modern episodes. Why I listed Adult Swim is it's broadcast on a kids channel so kids that aren't supervised may think it's still Cartoon Network.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 am

I think when I actually saw The Simpsons, I was a preteen. I always agreed to watch it whenever I was called into the living room.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:20 am

I was a preteen when I started watching The Simpsons too.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:03 pm

Adult Swim is on a kids channel? You've GOT to be kidding me.

Maybe you're confusing with MAD?
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:04 am

It comes on Cartoon Network at 8:00pm but use to be like 9:00pm.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:26 am

Cartoon Network used to be in Israel, but it's been long gone now. However, Cellcom recently introduced Adult Swim as a seperate channel.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:43 am

What channel replaced Cartoon Network in Israel?
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:17 am

The European version of CN aired on yes and HOT (not Hop!) since 2000. In 2005, HOT stopped airing it, and yes stopped in 2009. It was replaced by JimJam (yes, that JimJam), and Arutz HaYeladim acquired CN's shows as a daily block in 2011.

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:54 pm

So anyway, Adult Swim is on CN? That's CRAZY! You'd think there'd be articles about that instead of Imperialist Thomas or whatever...
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:17 am

It's been on CN since around like 2001-2002 I think.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:41 am

Ah, the "it's just for kids" argument...honestly it feels like a lame statement that's only really used when either a) butthurt people who like the shows critics are disliking or b) having nothing to say but still want to sound like they know what they're talking about.

Kids' entertainment has the right to be good. Just because kids will watch anything doesn't mean we should let them watch anything.
DonaldDouglasandToby6
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum