Post by Frankthetriviaman on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:47 am

Given Flying Scotsman's two tender configuration though, I'd say late 60s
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Re: Mysteries of Thomas the Tank Engine Discussion

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 am

Why did James increase in size after Season 12? In the live action era, he was very small and narrow, but now he's larger than Edward and has a "fatter" boiler scratch
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by OneJ_ on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:11 pm

laG roiL wrote:Why did James increase in size after Season 12? In the live action era, he was very small and narrow, but now he's larger than Edward and has a "fatter" boiler scratch

Well, I'm not sure and I've been pondering about this lately as well. To me, it makes sense for James to be his current size because he certainly did not feel like he was a "big" engine among the trio of him, Henry and Gordon. Not sure why exactly he increased in size though.
OneJ_
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:03 am

Perhaps they were trying to get closer to the actual size of his basis?
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 pm

No one cared about "basis" in series 13. It was probably just a lucky scaling error.
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:23 am

What is the average cost per accident on Sodor?
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:48 am

And Sodor's currency? Unless it uses Pounds, Pennies and Pence, which would make sense as it's in the British Isles.
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:08 am

Sodor would most likely be apart of the UK, so I guess pounds.
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Here's one that I just noticed: In Old Iron, no one is controlling James. His driver is sick, his fireman is at the signal box waiting for a relief driver, and the kids who were screwing around with his throttle and regulator fell out of the cab. British locomotives are almost always hand-fired.

So how is James maintaining boiler pressure with no one to add coal?
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tugboatfan4 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Maybe that's why the reacted so quickly to him becoming a runaway, if they didn't take care of it then, who knows what could have happened to James or anyone around him going down the line.
Tugboatfan4
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:06 am

If I touched an engine's buffer, or any part of it, would it feel that?
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaromir Jagr's Mullet on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 am

Probably. Although it might be desensitized over time.
Jaromir Jagr's Mullet
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by ShroomstagramUser on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:49 am

Tender engines can fell their tenders...I think. Can they feel them if they've been removed?
ShroomstagramUser
Yard Engine
Yard Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:15 am

ShroomstagramUser wrote:Tender engines can fell their tenders...I think. Can they feel them if they've been removed?

I like how we've moved in to ask TheUnluckyTug's unanswerable questions! XD

Anyways, I don't think they can feel their tender period. It's like carrying around a coal truck/water tanker all the time. However, that begs the question: Could a tender have it's own sentience? As soon as I thought of that question, I instantly decided I needed to make a fanfic about an engine with a sentient tender!
MainLineEngine112
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:34 am

I kind of want to give my Ten Cents on some of the questions here:

1: How do the engines obtain sentience?
I don't think it has anything to do with science, or magic, or anything. I think that's just sort of how it is. On another note though, if you want some more insight into mechanical life, check out SuperCarlinBrothers' video "Are Cars Alive?" about Pixar's Cars. Anyways, I would argue that the faces and personas aren't manufactured. For instance, if the builder could decide what the engine's personality was, why would anyone make an engine like Diesel or Diesel 10? Another argument against the faces being manufactured is that they do, in fact, have blood. The engines blush quite frequently, and the Spiteful Brake Van was seen with a black eye after his accident. These are results of blood rushing to certain areas. The engines also have tear ducts, and they can smell. This can't be the result of science. My head-canon is that they have a small "body," so to speak, inside where the face is. A body with a heart, blood vessels, etc. I'd also assume that this body is connected somehow to their engine body as well, as we know they often take big breaths before blowing a loud whistle. There's no way to really know how all of that happens, but I choose to believe it happens naturally.

2. What's up with TATMR?
If it is canon, which I sort of have trouble believing, but am not completely opposed of, I would say it takes place in the past instead of the future. I would say it takes place between Seasons 1 and 2, so in the fifties. I don't think it could take place in the far future. That just doesn't sit right with me in any way.

3. When does the show take place?
I've gone very deep into this subject, and made a complete timeline in order to keep consistency for my soon-to-be series, Sudrian Articles. Of course, some things on that timeline aren't exactly what they would be, because I altered them a little, but essentially, I came to the conclusion that The Great Race should realistically be taking place in the eighties. I know it can't take place in modern times. It has to be earlier than 1997, as the Reverend appears in Lost Treasure and The Great Race, and as of March 21st, 1997, he is no longer with us (God bless his genius soul. R.I.P.). When I laid out when the characters from Season 5 onwards realistically could have arrived, it added up that the current seasons would span to about 1984. Of course, I had to ignore some previously "confirmed" dates, like TGD being in 1955, and MIR being in 1960. These can't be true, for two big reasons. Reason 1: Emily. We know she wasn't on Sodor until at least 1967, because she rescued Oliver on her first day. Reason 2: Salty. He wasn't even built until 1962, so he couldn't have been in either movie. There is one fault in my timeline: Sir Robert Norramby. If we're to believe that he's the same person as Richard Robert Norramby, which I think he is, then he would have been born in 1940, and thus would be 75 or 76, which makes sense given his appearance in the TV Series. If we were in the eighties, he would be in his forties, which would mean he did not age well at all. The best counter to this is that Sir Bertram Topham Hatt, in the TV Series, is still the same person as the Railway Series' Sir Charles Topham Hatt I, because Sir Bertram Topham Hatt is still shown to be the grandfather of Stephen and Bridget. Sir Charles I was born in 1915, and died in '56, but if he had lived to the eighties, he would be in his seventies, if you do the math. That's not impossible, and Sir Stephen, the current Fat Controller, is in his seventies in modern times. Anyways, what I'm getting at is that based on the fact that current TV Series STH is still the original RWS STH, the current Sir Robert Norramby might have actually been born before the Richard Robert Norramby of the Railway Series.

I also have one other theory to explain Sir Topham Hatt: maybe the Sir Topham Hatt we saw in the earlier seasons was Sir Charles Topham Hatt, and Sir Bertram Topham Hatt is actually the equivalent of Sir Charles II. We don't know exactly when he was born, but if that were the case, he would be closer to fifty, which makes sense. Of course, then Stephen and Bridget would be his children, not his grandchildren, but here's my theory: Stephen Hatt, as seen in the classic series, is the current Stephen and Bridget Hatt's father. Thusly, in essence, modern day Stephen and Bridget would replace Richard, Charles, and Emily Hatt. That way, Sir Charles Topham Hatt, as seen in the earlier seasons, would be classic Stephen and Bridget's grandfather, Sir Bertram Topham Hatt would be classic Stephen and Bridget's father, and modern Stephen's grandfather. This would explain why modern Stephen and Bridget don't seem to have aged at all, and why modern Bridget looks to be older than modern Stephen, when classic Stephen should be two years older. This could also explain some things with Dowager Hatt and Lady Hatt. Lady Hatt looked a lot different in Season 1. That's because the Lady Hatt we saw then is actually what we currently know as Dowager Hatt. That's also why Lady Hatt doesn't look to be that old. She's probably in her forties, fifty at the very oldest, while Dowager Hatt is probably in her seventies. I'm actually pretty proud of this theory. Let me know what you think of this one in particular!

4. What's canon and what isn't?
While I agree that we can't just say something's not canon because we don't like it, not everything can be accepted as fully canon. For instance, Skarloey and Rheneas are not young. Here's my theory: I would say that just about everything we see in the TV Series is "canon," but not all of it (mainly Seasons 8 to 16) happened exactly how we see it. I would say that in-universe, there is a Thomas and Friends television series, and at some point, the producers branched out from complete realism in order to appeal to kids. Think of it like WildNorWester's "Ode to George Carlin."
(In case you haven't seen said episode)
Spoiler:

In that episode, we see that, in his canon, there is a TV Series, the same as the one in real life, and it's not completely accurate.
I think it's like that. Think something like, maybe episodes like Skarloey the Brave did happen, but maybe it was because of his crew (great fanfic by Frank!), or maybe it wasn't actually Skarloey who did that. Maybe the TV Producers just did that so that the kids would recognize the character or something. In fact, you could take this one step further and say that this may even be the case in the Railway Series. Awdry said it himself. Publishers are stern men. Maybe there were certain occurrences in the Railway Series, like Mike and Rex calling Bert young, that was the work of the publishers. Food for thought.

5. Why is James larger in CGI?
I would say that he should be the size he was in the model series, but, like I talked about in the previous topic, the producers just made him a little bit larger when they turned their program into CGI, just like in real-life. That or the model-makers of the original TV Program made him too small. For James specifically, along with Duck, I would say they're too big in CGI, and I'd say Oliver, Donald, and Douglas were made too small, though it looks like they're fixing Oliver. I would say the CGI got it better for certain characters, though, like Alfie, and Jack.

6. One more question: Why are there scrapped E2s on Sodor?
Here's my theory: Those engines weren't ever Sir Topham Hatt's. They belonged to the Other Railway, and when they were scrapped, they were just left in yards near Barrow and Vicarstown, and at some point, someone like 'Arry or Bert just takes them somewhere else to eventually be melted down. I wouldn't completely deny that things can be scrapped on Sodor. It's not a complete safe-haven. Look at Old Slow Coach. Things aren't immune to being scrapped on Sodor, but the reason I don't think those engines were ever Sir Topham Hatt's is really just because I'm positive there weren't any more E2s, and A0s, and such on Sodor.

Let me know what you think of these answers!
MainLineEngine112
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:40 am

Why is it in the RWS that Duke is No. 8 and Ivo Hugh is No. 7? It would of made more since if it was switched around with Duke being No. 7 and Ivo Hugh being No. 8.
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:14 am

Where does it say he was No. 8?
In fact, when in the railway series did we ever see him run on the Skarloey? We've all assumed that he works on the Skarloey, but it looks to me like maybe he's in a museum or was bought by a smaller railway. I'd actually like to see an episode where we see where Duke really is.
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by MainLineEngine112 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:26 am

No, official sources say he was restored in 1982, and worked on the Skarloey Railway. Besides, why would be still be on the Skarloey Railway in 1996 (New Little Engine) if his restoration was finished 14 years prior? Unless if he just hadn't been bought by whatever smaller railway, in which case we would have no factual evidence that he was somewhere else at this point.
MainLineEngine112
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:19 am

My guess is they made Ivo Hugh No. 7 to be consistent with the Talyllyn Railway and how Tom Rolt is Ivo Hugh's counterpart
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:17 am

Which is great out of story, but makes it weird in story. Especially since Ivo Hugh's book references Fred, SKR number 9, before Ivo Hugh shows up.
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top