Thomas the Tank Engine Wikia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mysteries of Thomas the Tank Engine Discussion

+15
vinnyvincevvs5
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Zeke
Jamie Parker
Toz76
Frankthetriviaman
OneJ_
ThomasSirHandel
Diesel 11
ZadokTheBeast
Doc Knickerbocker
PolkaDotSideplates
Toby7
Tugboatfan4
ArthurEngine
19 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Mysteries of Thomas the Tank Engine Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Mysteries of Thomas the Tank Engine Discussion

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:21 am

In the far future...? How...? If that's so, where are all the other engines?
DonaldDouglasandToby6
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Mysteries of Thomas the Tank Engine Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Mysteries of Thomas the Tank Engine Discussion

Post by ThomasSirHandel Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:34 am

The engines are running on their own power and some think Mr. Conductor is really a time traveler. The other engines could be working on other parts of the island and most of the existing engines that didn't appear at the time TATMR was made work on branch lines.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:39 am

But if your "theory" is correct, wouldn't the other engines know of what's going on? There's an evil Diesel that tries to destroy them; you'd think some of them would notice...
DonaldDouglasandToby6
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:42 am

Maybe Diesel 10 never cared about the branch lines or was to heavy to go on them.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:46 am

Do you seriously think he'd care about railway safety? He has a claw on him for crying out loud Laughing
DonaldDouglasandToby6
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:48 am

Maybe he had an terrible accident in the past while going on a branch line.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:16 am

Edward suffered a traumatic experience involving a crane in his youth. Because of this, he has a natural fear/revulsion of cranes. It's his one fault, and he's too psycologically scarred to do anything about it, or even admit it.

It's a bit morbid, sure, but he was rude to Rocky and Harvey in their debut episodes, he's never really interacted with Cranky or Reg, and when's the last time he pulled the Breakdown train? As I recall, 1960, after Break Van, and that's only because he happened to be close by.
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://allgameforum.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:24 am

That could be an interesting episode. But wasn't the last time Edward took the breakdown train in The Great Discovery when Thomas derailed which most fans seem to altere the date it takes place due to continuity errors.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnyvincevvs5 Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:17 am

Lord History wrote:I'm not saying that it has to be magic. But, considering most of the main engines were built in the late 19th - early 20th century, I doubt that EXTREME science is capable.

I'm enjoying this.

But, what is in the smokebox itself? Just the standard mechanical workings, I assume?

Sorry to join the topic late lol. In my opinion, I think that is where realistic imagination come in. It's definitely not magic because the Island of Sodor was never meant to incorporate magic. It's supposed to be fiction but realistic. Moreover, back to realistic imagination... I personally think (in your words) extreme science and engineering could have definitely been accessible if people put their minds together haha, I mean, they created Steam engines and diesels after all haha. That ran at many speeds and they were amazingly built with incredible engineering Smile . So then again, although technology wasn't as advanced back then, it was still pretty advanced IMO. So again, in my opinion, the engines have their faces and personalities manufactured. Again, realistic imagination. As I believe (and many others in the discussion) it could have definitely been done but wasn't really important in reality I guess Very Happy Ultimately, fiction, imagination and realism.
vinnyvincevvs5
vinnyvincevvs5
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

https://www.youtube.com/vinnyvincevvs5

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:51 am

Maybe time travelers from the far future came to the late 19th century to show the engine builders how to make the faces.
ThomasSirHandel
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:37 am

Would the engines' faces be produced like human masks, or like at "Day Out with Thomas" events?

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnyvincevvs5 Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:50 am

laG roiL wrote:Would the engines' faces be produced like human masks, or like at "Day Out with Thomas" events?

I would say similar to the newer moving DOWT events. But obviously with more engineering genius haha. And fluent communication devices kind of like Siri... but with no robot-ish tones haha. I think it's such a nice realistic and more creative conclusion. Smile
vinnyvincevvs5
vinnyvincevvs5
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnyvincevvs5 Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Lord History wrote:As I said, I do not think it is magic a la Magic Railroad, but I don't think it is that science considering the time period it begins in.
(This is rather fun!)
On a side note, what do you all think happened to Smudger?

I'd say, because it's T&F is fiction, the imagination elements are widely acceptable. Sure science wasn't AS advanced back then but I'm sure if people then joined heads, they could have made moving faces and the lot haha. I'd say it's realistic imagination. Something that isn't really 'presently' possible but definitely possible in fiction... if you take my meaning Smile

Speaking of Smudger... I'm curious too haha. I love how we can make our own conclusions to the untold and it would be correct, hehe. Personally I would say he was scrapped or overgrown trees and bushes grew all around him. Maybe like Glynn he was just forgotten idk... It would be so funny if they brought him back to CGI and restored him LOL. Would be very interesting indeed hahaha. But overall, I believe he was possibly scrapped Smile

Last edited by vinnyvincevvs5 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
vinnyvincevvs5
vinnyvincevvs5
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnyvincevvs5 Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:03 pm

Lord History wrote:Good question. Do they feel pain when it is opened?

Also, for the 'robot' theory, I found this artwork - http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sodor-cybernetics-318749547

Oh wow! That is a cool picture. I would agree 100%, accept for the brain part hahah. I think it would just be genius engineering and technology (wires etc.) rather than an actual brain. Lol But a great image Smile
vinnyvincevvs5
vinnyvincevvs5
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnyvincevvs5 Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:08 pm

One interesting this I was trying to figure out was... Where was Thomas' crew in The Great Discovery?? It is such a mystery.. Personally if the driver and fireman 'jumped clear' they could have told The Fat Controller... then having Thomas missing in the mine could've made more sense haha. IMO anyways... I kind of fill in the missing plot-holes in my head, making them up sometimes... so few of the episodes/movies/specials make sense.
Anyone have any clues where the driver and fireman went? haha Smile
vinnyvincevvs5
vinnyvincevvs5
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:57 pm

They fell out in Morgan's Mine? I dunno...
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:00 pm

Lord History wrote:As I said, I do not think it is magic a la Magic Railroad, but I don't think it is that science considering the time period it begins in.
(This is rather fun!)
On a side note, what do you all think happened to Smudger?

I suspect that he was put in the mine when they needed a pumping engine, and then he failed, and the mine had to shut down, and that was the end of the Mid-Sodor Railway. Then, years and years later, they found him and put him in a museum.

Oh wait - that's Stanley.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz76 Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Don'tcha know? He's the generator for the Steamworks! Razz

Let's face it, he's probably in the mountains rusting away somewhere.
Toz76
Toz76
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Toz76 wrote:Don'tcha know? He's the generator for the Steamworks! Razz

Let's face it, he's probably in the mountains rusting away somewhere.

The above: Razz
The below: Probably.
Diesel 11
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:23 am

THERE SHOULD BE A SPOOKY EPISODE WHERE MIKE OR ANOTHER HEARS SPOOKY SOUNDS, BUT IT'S ACTUALLY SMUDGER, WHO THEY SAVE!
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:24 am

...why
DonaldDouglasandToby6
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:51 am

Perhaps hebwants smudger to return?

Last edited by Frankthetriviaman on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frankthetriviaman
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnyvincevvs5 Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:39 am

My assumption as to what happened to The Horrid Lorries is that because they were so rude and caused confusion and delay, they had their faces removed, so they were once again just ordinary lorries... Considering they are seen throughout the TV series without a face. I think that's the most realistic and logical explanation haha... They didn't return after all and they never will haha Razz
vinnyvincevvs5
vinnyvincevvs5
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by PolkaDotSideplates Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 pm

No, those are just generic lorries: there can't be only 3 kinds of a truck. It's like saying there are only 7 Class 08 diesels.
PolkaDotSideplates
PolkaDotSideplates
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Knickerbocker Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:31 am

The Twitter Gang and I had a delightful discussion tonight, and I should like to prompt one here. It mainly discusses these points -

1. How can a steam locomotive come to life?
2. What steam locomotive parts could be considered equivalent to human parts (Not all, mind you - crucial ones such as firebox/heart, smokebox/head, et cetera)?
3. Where would the mind/soul of an engine lie? In the face, or smokebox in general?
4. How can a steam engine be killed? Would it involve the aforementioned fire and smokeboxes/heart and head/brain?
5. To what extent could an engine be disassembled/have multiple parts replaced, put back together after a long period of time, and retain its memories/personalities?
6. During an overhaul, how long could an engine remain 'alive' without crucial parts?
7. Could a boiler explosion completely kill an engine?
Doc Knickerbocker
Doc Knickerbocker
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next