Is Duck really that overrated?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is Duck really that overrated?

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:24 pm

This goes to any returnee that people beg for; they appear as much as they need to. How does Duck appear too much? He only appeared in 8 episodes (I think), that's not very much, out of 26 per season.
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Yes. Duck starred in more S2-3 episodes than S17-18 episodes, he's also been written excellently.

It's worrying that people complain about too much Duck, but Toad has had more S18 episodes than Duck had S17 episodes, so are they going to complain about Toad? Or will Duck, Donald, Douglas and Oliver all be complained about when they appear more, despite everyone wanting them back?
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:07 am

I'm not one to complain. It's fine if they do, fine if they don't.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

http://3wsr.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:37 pm

I've been thinking more about this recently, because despite the Series being so much better than it was before, people still find things to complain about; Duck being one of these things.

Series 18 got the balance between returning, existing, and new characters perfect. Bill, Ben, Duck, Toad and Harvey all got a fair amount of exposure, as did Marion, Timothy, Samson and Gator. Edward, Toby and Emily got their own episodes and James was great this series. So I just don't understand why people say we've had too much Duck. They say he is drowning out the new characters, but that is nonsense! There was even someone on You Tube complaining that we've had too much Oliver. He hasn't had an episode yet!

I've basically decided that You Tube represents some of the bad fans that nit pick everything (not everyone, just some people). I was watching the trailer for Pixar's Inside Out. Some people love the trailer, but some people are saying that it looks like absolute rubbish, so I've decided not to take YouTube commentors seriously anymore, because they probably want attention.
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Knickerbocker on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:47 pm

I feel we need Duck, to an extent.

Duck is similar to Edward and Toby - Kind, wise, clever, intelligent, and mature. He, like the aforementioned two, can put other engines in their place with kindness, despite being a tank engine.

Though the wise personalities of Toby and Edward are beginning to return, I feel an engine is still needed to put younger engines in place, considering there are more engines. So, why not have Duck?

And, who knows? With the Arlesdale Railway making an appearance soon, Duck and Oliver could possibly keep them in check.

This is simply my two cents. (Or, Ten Cents? Razz)
Doc Knickerbocker
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by JRCS on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Definitely. Duck asserts a balance in the personalities of the characters (like in Edward's Exploit in S2). We have a lot of engines like Gordon and James who have their heads in the clouds, whilst Duck is more down to earth and sensible.

That doesn't mean he is better or worse than Gordon or James, it just creates a balance.
JRCS
Station Pilot
Station Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Frankthetriviaman on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:40 pm

I mentioned it previously, but I apologize for not elaborating.

I find Duck to be a better character than Emily. For me, Duck, is a brave, hardworking engine who doesn't take nonsense and tries to do his best no matter what.

Emily, on the other hand, is stubborn, rude and arrogant.

Comparing them, for a second:

Duck once prevented a worse accident from happening when he stopped the runaway trucks on Gordon's Hill (A Close Shave), while Emily caused accidents by pretending to be a queen (Emily Knows Best), and igonoring the advice of others (Excellent Emily)

Duck stood up for Percy and himself when the big engines were pushing them around (Duck Takes Charge) while Emily tried to run off and hide when she was seen with Whiff when he first came to Sodor (Emily's Rubbish)

And finally, Duck does any job he is given, without question, whether it is shunting (Duck takes Charge), being a banker (Fish) or even just a regular train. Emily on the other hand, will do what she can to get out of a job she doesn't like (Pingy Pongy Pick Up, Emily's Rubbish)

So is Duck overrated? No, but he is a much better character than Emily
Frankthetriviaman
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC on Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:58 am

Frankthetriviaman wrote:I mentioned it previously, but I apologize for not elaborating.

I find Duck to be a better character than Emily.  For me, Duck, is a brave, hardworking engine who doesn't take nonsense and tries to do his best no matter what.

Emily, on the other hand, is stubborn, rude and arrogant.

Comparing them, for a second:

Duck once prevented a worse accident from happening when he stopped the runaway trucks on Gordon's Hill (A Close Shave), while Emily caused accidents by pretending to be a queen (Emily Knows Best), and igonoring the advice of others (Excellent Emily)

Duck stood up for Percy and himself when the big engines were pushing them around (Duck Takes Charge) while Emily tried to run off and hide when she was seen with Whiff when he first came to Sodor (Emily's Rubbish)

And finally, Duck does any job he is given, without question, whether it is shunting (Duck takes Charge), being a banker (Fish) or even just a regular train.  Emily on the other hand, will do what she can to get out of a job she doesn't like (Pingy Pongy Pick Up, Emily's Rubbish)

So is Duck overrated?  No, but he is a much better character than Emily

Well, that's comparing to the Miller era persona, let's look at the S7 and 17+ one

Saving Oliver from a crash (Emily's special coaches) caring about Henry and actually worrying (what's the matter with Henry?) telling Thomas and Percy to apologize to Salty (salty's stormy tale) feeling sorry for Percy (KOTR) and many other S17+ appearances.
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:12 am

I'm going with Frank on this one, TGC. Although I like Emily, Duck is much more classic, way better, and one of the Reverend and Christopher's favorites.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:50 am

(It's actually called "Emily's New Coaches".)
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:14 pm

@Hangar: what I meant wasn't to say that Emily was Better but wasn't as bad as Frank said.

@Lag roil: I could have sworn it was Special Coaches (Later): I checked my 2 DVDs of it, it says New :/ (yes I have 2 of it, actually I think I have 3 of it actually.
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Location : Cop: where do you live? Kid: with my parents. Cop: where do you parents live? Kid: With me. Cop: Where do you all live? Kid: Next to our neighbor. Cop: where does your neighbor live? Kid: If I tell you you won't believe me. Cop: I'll believe you. Kid: next to our house.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diesel 11 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:44 pm

I knew what you meant, TGC, and you did have a good argument. I just meant that I think that Duck is better.
Diesel 11
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 am

I think one of the reasons people say Duck is overrated is because "He appears too much." And now people are saying "We get it. They returned." So...what, should they be one-off returnees like Bulgy in Season 7? What purpose would that serve?!
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TaffyTheTankEngine on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 am

The main reason that Duck has appeared a lot Since season 17 is that he is one of the original cast of 11 engines (Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James, Percy, Toby, Duck, Donald, Douglas and Oliver). it just shows that the fans are never happy with anything. If this continuous, they might want the Miller era back.
TaffyTheTankEngine
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Duck is not overrated. Can we close this thread now?
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by zachthethomasfan2001 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:19 am

To be honest, Duck has been an underrated character. He hasn't had much episodes to himself in CGI. I mean he mentions the words "Great Western" a bit too much. Just tone that down and he would be perfect. So many fans that wanted Duck back in CGI now hate him, you can't undo a wish! Also, I find Duck better than Emily IMO. So honestly, he's not that overrated.
zachthethomasfan2001
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:57 am

They could do an episode about his interest of the sea.
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:06 am

luctheminecrafter wrote:Duck is not overrated. Can we close this thread now?

That's an opinion though...
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIsraeliSudrian on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 am

What makes me think he is overrated is that the fans cherish him too much.
TheIsraeliSudrian
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TGC on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:30 pm

I feel like what the fans aren't liking about duck right now is his "Great western way blah blah blah" and I agree that that is used far too much, in fact he only said it once in season 2, now he is saying it in almost every one of his appearances.
TGC
Branch Line Engine
Branch Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Great Western Way then

Dont we know it!!! -Gordon, James, Henry

Great Western Way now

Dont we know it!!! -The entire fandom
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by DonaldDouglasandToby6 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:18 am

I don't actually have an issue with him saying it; he's proud of his heritage, and it shows he isn't always the best engine.
DonaldDouglasandToby6
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by luctheminecrafter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:09 am

I know, it's just weird how people don't like nods to the RWS anymore.
luctheminecrafter
Express Engine
Express Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSCC&ScottishTwins on Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:49 pm

IMO, some people don't like Duck nowadays because he's just been over-missed, and they were expecting him to be reintroduced differently instead of with this whole "I'm Great Western" thing.
However, as times have gone by, I do believe that this has changed, as now he's saying a bit more than that. Razz
TheSCC&ScottishTwins
Express Engine
Express Engine

Location : Traveling through time and space, eating some scones and muffins every now and then.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasSirHandel on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:00 pm

They don't complain about Gordon saying O the indignity all the time but they complain about when ever Duck says something about the great western. Weird.
ThomasSirHandel
Main Line Engine
Main Line Engine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top